28 February 2011

what a week!

where do I even begin it has been such an intense week. Wednesday was one of the harder days because I felt that I knew nothing and that I couldn't contribute anything because of my lack f knowledge in law so I will just skip wednesday and go right to thursday.
I decided to get there early because it would probably be the last day of the trial and I wanted to make sure I understood all the procedures. So I sat in on the trial all morning and part of the afternoon. The attorneys gave their closing arguments and Judge Benson gave the Jury the necessary instructions. When the jury was excused there was just time of waiting. During that time the attorneys of this coming weeks trial came to the office and I got to sit in on the discussions with them. It is a big case of this guy posing as a legitimate buyer at a government auction for land to drill for oil or natural gas. This 27 year old guy raised all the bids but when it came down to pay he wouldn't. He said he did it all to stop global warming and for the environment. So this case is next week and there were discussion on the protestors and demonstrators and how everything will go on practically.

when that was done we played darts waiting for the verdict. The verdict came around 17:50 and we had a bet going on where we bet a dollar on what time the jury would reach a verdict, what the verdict would be and who would be the front person. I was right on the verdict but nothing else. The verdict was guilty on both counts. So when that was done Judge Benson went in to the jury room and thanked them and answered their questions. All the law clerks came along so I just followed them. When that was all over we had pizza and sat and talked for an hour or so. It was such a good day. Friday I came in later because I know there was not a lot going on. So when I came there I helped out with next weeks jury preparation. I sat with this man who was not too good at reading and helped him answer a jury-questionnaire and then I copied all of the answers for the defense attorney and the prosecution.

I had lunch with Erica and Bryce at the California Pizza Kitchen and then went back Ron (Dee's Secretary) took me up to Michelle who is responsible for the public relations of the courthouse and we talked for a while and I will be helping her next week with he media control and make sure everything will roll smoothly in the courtroom and for all the new agencies. the last hour I was back in Dee's office and we played darts again. When it was 17:00 Erica came to pick me up but before I left Judge Benson said to me in Swedish that they were really happy to have me there and not just in his office but the people in the courthouse had commented to him of how helpful and nice I was so that felt really good. Maybe I can bring something to the courthouse despite my lack of legal training.

3 comments:

  1. Så roligt att läsa allt du får vara med om och speciellt att de trivs med dig. Jag är en stolt syster :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. och jag ar en stolt lillasyster till dig!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spännande! Fatta att du får vara med om sånt här! Coolt! Själv pluggar jag lagtext och skatter... Skriv ofta, jag vill läsa mera :)

    ReplyDelete